Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Weighing In


Just yesterday I went to my gynecologist for a follow up appointment. When I arrived, prior to seeing my doctor, the nurse asked me to step on the scale. "What, you want me to get on the scale," I said to the nurse. "No one told me I was going to have to do that this evening, especially when I have all my clothes on and boots too."

Usually when I know I am going to have to weigh in, I wear appropriate "weigh in" clothing - no jacket (or a jacket that can easily be removed, thin wool pants (in the winter) or light-weight linen (in the summer), and absolutely no boots. Of course, this time, since I didn't know I would be weighing in, I was wearing exactly the opposite of what I should be wearing. Not a good weigh in. I could not take off my boots, but I was able to slip off my jacket. I couldn't take off my belt either. And it was evening, so add on the pounds from the day, luckily I had not had dinner yet. There also was the jewelry - a necklace, bracelet, and earrings. No wonder I weighed 5 pounds more than my bathroom scale displayed earlier that morning!

About a year ago, I bought myself a new bathroom scale. While I know Weight Watchers would not approve, I do weigh myself every morning. I'm sure I'm typical of women my age and other ages maybe too. I love my scale...it is digital with big numbers so I can see the exact weight without wearing my glasses. I always weigh myself before I get in the shower...no extra clothing pounds for me...it's au-natural. And if I don't like what I weigh the first time...I'll get off and step on the scale again...just to make sure...sometimes if it is different the second time around...I'll make a third step up...the third time always tells the truth. This scale was a good investment....some mornings it is almost like a stepper machine. It gets more use than my reclining bicycle that I spent so much money on.

I probably should not be so obsessed with weighing myself everyday...but over the years it has become a habit. Usually, Monday's are not good days...I tend to pig out on the weekend. Then I spend the rest of the week trying to lose the pounds I gained so I can gain them back all over again. Sometimes if I have a good Monday, I'll let myself have peanut butter on waffles for breakfast. If not it's another Kashi Heart to Heart cereal day to start off the week...but I do cheat with a little Captain Crunch to top it off....it is Monday after all.

I'd likely be a terrible dieter...better keep exercising!

Judi

3 comments:

Joan said...

I too do the scale stepper routine every morning...it's the only exercise I get! Also...I always try and make my doctor appointments during the summer months so I can wear as little clothing as possible. Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

I am LOL! You think you are alone with that scale game? We all do it! And just to update you, the new studies show that weighing daily is better than weekly although like WW, I had been saying that to clients all along. Frankly, I like it best on Saturday mornings after I poop.

Anonymous said...

You got me laughing! What with the scale-stepping and cereal routine. I, too, "supplement" a healthy cereal with a tasty one. Depending on my mood, the proportion of the two types of cereal can change dramatically!