Friday, March 2, 2007

Double Vision


I've been wearing glasses for over 25 years. It all started after college...too much reading in the dark. I should have listened to my mother when she said to turn on the light.

A few years ago, when I reached my mid-40s I needed bifocals. I resisted as long as I could, but eventually I couldn't read the newspaper...and reading the New York Times is one of my favorite things to do. I also couldn't read my favorite magazines, Vogue, InStyle, Entertainment Weekly. And I couldn't read a book...although that didn't really matter because I didn't, and I still don't, have time to read any books since I am so busy reading newspapers and magazines. (I have a lot of books piling up for my retirement...may need a new bookcase just for my retirement books.)

I finally gave in and got progressive lenses. I really wanted to get the laser eye surgery...but for those of you who have been reading my blog, you know I'm not a risk taker...so of all things, having someone touch my eyes is totally out of the question. If they could put me completely under and just do the surgery without me knowing they were touching my eyes...I'd be okay. Or, if they could knock me out with a big dose of Valium, I'd go through with it. I was getting closer to going for a consultation...and then a friend said she had the surgery and it hurt so much that she almost didn't go through with the second eye. Then I saw the surgery on one of those Discovery shows and it looked so scary. That ended that!

I tried contacts a few years ago...that is, I tried to put contacts in my eyes. I couldn't get them in my eyes. I didn't like my eye doctor at the time because he made me put the contacts in my eye in a room with very little light (didn't he listen to my mother?) and I could not do it. It just would not work.

Now my eyesight is changing again...maybe it is a good thing that I didn't get the laser surgery yet after all. I don't know whether my eyes are just really tired from lack of sleep or that my vision is really changing again. I can hardly see this computer to write my blog...sometimes I even have to take off my glasses to read too.

I also do not like today's styles of eyeglasses...too narrow...did they ever think that baby boomer females like me who need progressive lens might like a little wider frame so they can fit their progressive lenses in the frame??? Most of these new stylish frames are too narrow for a progressive lense.

Now I may have to start thinking about that laser surgery again...as I approach 50 I may have to break down and have this surgery done once and for all. My new eye doctor did tell me that if I do decide to have the surgery I would still have to wear bifocals to read...although then I could buy those stylish bifocals and look very distinguished...like all those 50+ women who wear them on their head or around their neck. I could have a pair to go with every outfit...well maybe just two pairs...one for my brown and tan outfits and one for my black and white outfits.

I don't know what to do...too many decisions...it's Friday...my Lunesta night...I think I'll sleep on it...as Scarlett O'Hara said..."tomorrow is another day."

Judi

No comments: