Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Peri or Provence


Here goes my peri-menopause again...it's acting up...and I don't like it...I was having such severe cramps again today...so much so that I went to the doctor...just to check things out...didn't want to take a chance that I would have those cysts or fibroids again...so I called my doctor.

Doctor C was great..."What are you here for?" he asked me this evening..."I'm having severe cramps," I said..."Oh, are you still having your period?" he said as he looked at my chart...he wasn't my regular gynecologist so he didn't know my history..."No...no...I haven't had my period in over three months...but sometimes I still feel the symptoms...just like today...the bloating...the cramping...the anger," I said.

And as he examined me we started to chat..."What are you doing for your 50th birthday?" he asked me..."Actually, I'm blogging my way to 50," I said..."Blogging...blog...what is that?" he asked..."It's like an on-line diary," I told him. "Oh, that's interesting," he said, "but are are you doing anything fun for your 50th...going anywhere special?"...."Yes, I am," I told him, "but I don't know where I'm going yet...it is definitely going to be somewhere special...really special...absolutely special."

And as he examined me I started to think about my list of special places...the absolutely...positively... wonderful and special places I would like to go for my birthday"...my head was filling with fabulous places...exciting places...new places...I had just read the new Bon Appetit magazine(I always bring a magazine to the doctor's office...when they put me in the room and get me half undressed and make me wait for 30 minutes...even after I've pressed the button to let them know I'm ready...I need something to keep me occupied)... and there was a feature on the foods of Provence...tres bien...tres bien...I started to practice my French again...my French that I haven't studied since high school.

Provence sounds like the perfect place to celebrate my 50th...at least for tonight..it hits all my criteria...good food...good wine...good scenery...haven't been there...right now it is on the top of my list...I am ready to book my ticket...not sure what the weather is like in Provence in January...will have to do some research...luckily I have four more months to plan...and my 50th will last all year...so I can always pick the best month for Provence...no rush...this is supposed to be a relaxing vacation...a special birthday vacation.

And then Dr. C finished examining me...back to reality..."nothing wrong...your ovaries are okay...your uterus too...your just peri-menopausal...it's pretty common...take some ibuprofen," said Dr. C. And as he left the room...before he closed the door...he sighed and added, "Fifty isn't so bad...it's 55 that's the tough one...50 is easy."

Thank you Dr. C.

Judi

No comments: