Monday, January 15, 2007

Golden Globe Day

January 15, 2007

Today is Golden Globe day. Next to the Academy Awards, it's one of my favorite days. I'm a celebrity junkie. Love to watch what all the stars are wearing...Armani is my favorite designer...such gorgeous draping, fabrics and details on his gowns.

I always wanted to be a famous designer. My first major in college was design, but I didn't think I was good enough, so I switched into Home Economics Education ( is that dating me or what?) and minored in design. I sewed many of my own clothes when I was younger, even as I progressed in my career. I made suits...one suit was tailored with Calvin Klein brown wool fabric and big shoulder-pads...in the days when shoulder-pads were in fashion. I made all my own maternity outfits when I was pregnant. Then when I had kids and got busier and busier at work, I never had time to sew.

I still love fabrics and good clothing. It is one of my weaknesses. I have piles of beautiful fabrics in my basement that I've bought through the years at designer fabric stores in different cities. I also have piles of Butterick, Vogue, Simplicity patterns for all types of clothing and accessories sitting in my closet. Most recently, I bought a dress form...for when I do start sewing again. I move the dress form in and out of my daughter's room (since she is away at college - when she arrives home to visit or for breaks I move the form back in my closet). It's had a good amount of movement, but not any usage. Oh yes, I started to hang my sweater on the form, so it's not naked anymore. The best part about the dress form is that it expands...so as my hips grow as I age and become a permanent pear-shaped person, my dress form will grow with me.

People do start second careers during the second half of their lives. That's what I'm looking forward to. Maybe when I turn 50 and become an empty nester, I'll have more time to focus on my sewing.

As for my favorite designer, I told myself (and many of my friends) that when I turn 50 or when I become a Vice President at work, that I was going to buy an Armani suit. Since I don't see the VP title in the horizon anytime this year, I guess it will be on my 50th that this mega-event happens.

For now, I've got to get going and get my work done so I can watch the Golden Globes and dream that one day, maybe my designs will be on the red carpet!

Judi

No comments: