Thursday, February 1, 2007

Is Exercising Really A Hobby?

I try to exercise at least twice a week and once on the weekend. Well, maybe that is stretching the truth a bit. Oftentimes in the winter, I end up as a weekend athlete. I get home late and always seem to come up with a reason why I cannot go to the gym...too cold...too tired...too much work to do...yada, yada,yada. I say that exercising is one of my hobbies, but the more I think about it, I don't think it is really a hobby. A hobby is something you really enjoy doing. I think exercising is more of a stress releaser, but most of all it helps me maintain my weight.

I've been doing circuit weight training for the past 8 years. My goodness, I cannot believe it's been 8 years that I've been doing the same thing. It's boring, but I do find it works for me. I build muscle and my clothes seem to fit me better...that is until I turned 49 and it all went downhill or should I say "down to the hips." I also use a reclining bicycle. I bought a reclining bicycle several years ago...put it in my bedroom so I would use it more frequently. I had big plans for that bicycle when I first bought it. I was going to wake up 30 minutes earlier each weekday and take a ride as part of my morning routine. Have I done it...nooooooooo! I get up at 5:30 am as it is...5:00 am is just too early for me . Plus, after all these years I've finally resigned myself to the fact that I am not a morning exercise person, except late mornings...and only on Sundays. I've also started using the treadmill at the gym. I walk fast and it seems to work on the hips.

One of these days I also want to try the eliptical machine that everyone at the gym is using. I tried it once and only lasted about 5 minutes...just could not get the arms and legs moving in unison.

Enough about my exercise routine...if anyone has ideas on how to make it more fun or more worthwhile...let me know.

Judi

No comments: