Friday, February 16, 2007

Remembering A Mentor


I said I would capture my ups and my downs this year. I had a downer this week when a friend called to say that an old friend and former colleague had passed away. Kit was one of my mentors when I was just starting out in my career more than 20 years ago. She was such a creative person...she cared deeply about her work and even more about the people she worked with - whether they were her colleagues in the office or the editors and reporters she served as a public relations professional. She was always friendly and asked about my children and my husband...with geniune interest...not just for the asking. She complimented me when I did good work. And every year, even after we stopped working together, I always knew there would be a holiday card in the mail from Kit.

As I get older, I think about how lucky I was to have had a mentor like Kit when I was in my 20's. Now it's my turn to be the mentor...to share the wisdom I have learned over the years...to step back and stop the treadmill I'm on...and give back to those younger than me (much younger than me) who are starting out in the business world. It's not easy transitioning into such a role. Does that mean I'm now all grown up??? Even at 49, I think there's a little Peter Pan in me...never wanting to grow up. Maybe that's why I'm having such a tough time transitioning into this mentor role.

When I was younger, I don't think I realized how much I learned from people like Kit and the other talented women who mentored me...I didn't realize the things they said...the questions they asked...the encouragement they provided...impacted my career and even more so the person I would become. I was so busy moving ahead, that I just never really took time to stop and think about all the great things they taught me.

So, as I reflect, I want to say thank you to Kit...while I may not get a holiday card from you this December...memories will remain. I hope I can be as great a mentor to others as you were to me.

Judi

No comments: