Thursday, September 20, 2007

An Intermission from Life


Okay...okay...today was not a good day...the stress is building up...or is it that my body is breaking down...let's say my mind, body, and soul are breaking down...it's tough going through day after day of high stress situations...some days...like today...I wish I could rewind my life...push the de-stress button and rewind my life...to a time when my husband was not ill (My Soulmate - June 17)......to a time when I could go to work...come home...enjoy dinner...do some blogging...or watch a chick flick...or my Audrey Hepburn collection...and relax.

Boy...has my life changed the past few months...yes, I've been playing super-woman...but today I had to hit the de-stress button......especially after I left the hospital where my husband was lying in pain (my father was right...when you have your health...you are rich)...I felt like that movie Network...where Peter Finch screams out "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore"...I had to de-stress...de-stress...de-stress!

As luck would have it...I found my bottle of Kiss My Face Obsessively Natural Anti-Stress foaming bath and shower gel under my bathroom vanity...the bottle that a colleague had given me awhile ago...I read the back label.."Recuperate, revive, relax," it said...just what I needed...I read more...the words were music to my ears..."Let the warm, calming water drench your body. Sooth and calm your mind. Allow these time tested herbs to create a sense of composure, a feeling of peace and quietude within your being. Let them sooth your skin. Treat yourself to an 'intermission' from life. You'll be ready to face the world."

That's it...that's exactly what I needed..."an intermission from life"...I was ready to pour the entire bottle into my bathtub...who ever wrote those words must have been thinking of me...or maybe she had been through a lousy day like I had been through today (it had to be a 'she'...no 'he' would write those words...and I bet it was a peri-menopausal copywriter)...all it took was a capful of Anti-Stress...a capful in a warm bath and my 'intermission' was in high gear (wish I had the chocolate covered raisins that my colleague had given me along with the bath foam...but I had already eaten the entire container of chocolate covered raisins...they were all gone and there were no raisonettes around to take their place...note to self...buy some raisonettes to keep on hand for future 'intermissions').

After a half hour in the bath I was totally de-stressed...and then I put on some of my new Wexler Intensive Night Reversal and Repair Face Cream that I bought at Bath & Body Works...yes, tonight, even if my body was going to be moving forward with its aging process I was going to make sure my face would be moving in reverse...Patricia Wexler M.D. says in the brochure that "The best time for intense treatment is when the body is at rest and safe from daily stresses."

And as I settled down to finish my 'intermission from life,' I grabbed some Turkey Hill light ice cream with the chocolate covered pretzels to top off the night (yummy...almost as good as my missing chocolate covered raisins)...and I read the New York Times Obituary about Laurel Burch...(I know this sounds morbid...but sometimes I like to read the obituaries and read all about the lives of some fascinating people...people that sometimes I recognize)...Laurel Burch was an artist...I recognized her fanciful cat designs in the picture...but it was the last sentence in the obituary that struck me during my 'intermission' from life...it was an American Indian proverb that Laurel Burch included in her last artworks:

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears."

A lovely closing act for my 'intermission"...thank you Laurel...your art lives on.

Judi

1 comment:

Rhea said...

I hope your Second Act went very well!