Thursday, December 13, 2007

A World on My Shoulders


There are 26 more days to go...26 until I turn 50...I have to hurry and get the world off my shoulders...the world that I've been carrying on my shoulders for almost 25 years...no more...when I turn 50 I want to just carry my two shoulders on my body...not the world.

That's it...starting today...starting today I'm going to simplify my life and take the world off my shoulders...my life needs to be real simple...now that I'm turning 50 I don't want a complicated life...what measures should I take...hmm...hmm...hmm.

For starters, instead of buying enough food for a family of five or more...especially when there are only now two in my household...I'm going to buy less...I'm not going to fill my shopping cart to the brim with food I won't eat...or don't need...just because it is on sale...or because it looks good...that will also simplify the process when I come home from the grocery store...I won't have as many bags of groceries to put away...less weight on my shoulders.

Next, I'm going to stop doing the job of five...I'm going to focus more...just be me...not me times five...and I'm going to shift from two bags to one briefcase and one handbag on my shoulders each night...I don't need to take home so much work from the office...I need to get all those bags off my shoulders. (Hold it...hold it...where will I put my Snapple that I bring to work every day...I don't think it will fit in my briefcase...uh oh...I can't leave my Snapple at home...I better rethink this...maybe I'll just downsize to the job of three...there's me, myself and I...yes, three is better than five...I'll do this gradually.)

Then...then I think I'll stop some of my magazine subscriptions when they run out...no more Vogue and InStyle...I must choose...make better decisions...I don't have time to read both magazines...but, which one should I choose...I do like the celebrity and accessory info in InStyle...but I do like the interesting stories in Vogue...I know...I know...I will only allow myself to purchase the September issue of Vogue and maybe...maybe the Spring fashion issue...but I don't need a subscription anymore...less weight on my shoulders (although the September Vogue is usually a pretty heavy magazine at 700+ pages)...but think of all the weight I'll take off my shoulders the rest of the year. (Wonder if I should switch and buy a subscription to Real Simple magazine instead...especially if I'm going to simplify my life...no stop it...stop it now...no more magazines!)

I'm going to cut down on my newspaper purchases on the weekend...from three to two...two Sunday papers are enough...and maybe I'll try to spend less on clothing...fewer, bigger, better purchases...Armani here I come!

I feel the weight lifting already...it's getting lighter...I'm standing straighter...wow...how did I keep the world on my shoulders for almost 25 years...so glad I'm turning 50 and finally realizing that the world is a big place...too big to be situated on MY shoulders any...any...anymore!

Judi

No comments: